Camp Dutch Oven Roast
(8) pound chuck roast, 2-to 3- inches thick, bone in if available
¼ cup vegetable oil
½ cup Burgundy wine
2 cups warm water
3 cups sliced yellow onions
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons coarsely ground pepper
½ cup mushrooms, sliced
6 carrots, cut into sticks
3 tablespoons cornstarch
½ cup water
1. Temperature to 350 degrees F
2. Heat vegetable oil in 16-inch dutch oven. Salt and pepper roast on both sides. Sear both sides in hot oil. Pour warm water and Burgundy wine over roast; add garlic, onions, carrots and sliced mushrooms.
3. Cover and cook about 2 ½ hours, turning every 30 to 45 minutes. Pour cooking liquid into a large measuring cup. Skim away fat. If necessary, add a little water or red wine to make 4 cups liquid and return to the cooking pan.
4. Stir in the cornstarch dissolved in ½ cup water. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
5. Return roast to cooking pan and arrange vegetables around the roast. Cover and allow to rest 15 minutes before serving.
Excerpted From BBB, Biscuits & Beans by Bill Cauble and Cliff Teinart – bright sky press