Sweet and Savory Brussel Sprout Salad
This is the recipe I saw Kelly Ripa make on her morning TV show, and I thought what a great recipe to try for Thanksgiving.
- 1 cup chopped Walnuts
- 2 lb trimmed, sliced Brussels Sprouts
- 3/4 cup dried Cherries
- grated Pecorino Cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped Shallots
- 1 tsp chopped Thyme
- 15 oz drained, rinsed Chickpeas
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Toast walnuts for around five minutes on medium heat in a skillet.
- Remove and reserve the walnuts.
- Warm oil on medium high in the pan.
- Once it’s hot, add Brussels Sprouts, thyme, shallots, salt and pepper.
- Cook and stir for two to three minutes, until the sprouts wilt.
- Take off heat. Add cherries, walnuts, and chickpeas.
- Toss the ingredients together. Add pecorino and transfer to a bowl for serving.
Well, my version didn't turn out quite the same.
It was good, but I would make it differently next time. Maybe even use her recipe.
First of all I used Grilled Chicken instead of Chick Peas. This was not a bad idea. I think I used too many walnuts, but that is easily mended. Several were left on the plate after dinner. I don't like nutmeg, so that was never used.
Dried Cherries are too expensive and hard to find. I used dried cranberries.
I didn't have any shallots, so I substituded minced garlic.
I didn't have shaved Pecorino cheese, so I used grated Asiago... also not a bad substitute.
It was delicious, but I felt like it needed a dressing. A vinegrette perhaps?
And if you go online to see the photo of the salad Kelly Ripa prepared, you can see what looks like crumbled bacon. This I will definitely add next time.