Guest Blogger Kathie Fuston shares some wonderful news...
The next meeting of the Maury County Historical Society will be on Sunday, May 20, 2012, at 2:00pm, at Haynes Haven in Spring Hill, Tennessee. Mike Rayburn of General Motors is graciously allowing MCHS members to view the progress on the restoration of this beautiful home. Annual Memberships are available for $25 per family and will be available at the meeting. For more information on the Maury County Historical Society, please visit the website - www.historicmaury.com
John L. Haynes, a native Tennessean, made his fortune in Texas, and purchased this site from the W. M. Tolley estate in the mid-1930s. Tolley had bred trotters and pacers. Napoleon Direct and other champion horses of the Hal and Direct bloodlines are buried here with markers.
Colonel Haynes erected the house in 1938 to replace an earlier Italianate house known as Woodlawn, which was destroyed by fire while workmen were restoring it. He continued the tradition of horse breeding, but concentrated on Tennessee Walking horses. He owned Strolling Jim, the first world champion, and Haynes Peacock, which won the title in 1940 and 1941.
After Colonel Haynes' death, his daughter, Virginia Ann and her husband, Robert Lancaster lived at Haynes Haven for a number of years. After the Lancasters sold the house and moved to Harlansdale Farm in Franklin, the property had a number of owners in the intervening years. One owner was Jesse Stallings, who was president of Capitol Airways at one time and while owning the house built an airstrip to the south of the house. In the mid-1980s, the Saturn Corporation bought the large acreage and built the Saturn automobile plant currently situated on the property. The stables were converted to a visitor center, and the house is used by company executives.
The site's earlier Woodlawn heritage connects with other well-known Maury County names. The Polks were its first occupants before moving to the Mt. Pleasant Pike area. It is said that Lucius Polk lived here while a bachelor. Better known, however, is its association with Dr. Spivey McKissack, the first mayor of Spring Hill, who gave the site the name Woodlawn, for the large trees gracing the lawn. This ancient grove was destroyed by a tornado in 1875.