With the temps dropping and an early frost threatening, I took this opportunity to pick the remaining okra from the Victory Garden and fry it up for supper this evening. I've been wanting to make okra fritters, also known as okra pancakes. Seems as good a time as any.
- 2 cups okra, cut in round pieces (fresh or frozen)
- 1 1/4 cups self-rising white cornmeal
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup onion or more, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk, may need a little more to make the batter the right consistency
- Salt & Pepper,
- 1 cup oil
In a large mixing bowl with a wooden spoon, mix together all ingredients except okra and oil. Fold in the okra.
Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drop by spoonfuls into the hot oil. Don't crowd the fritters.
Fry on one side about 2 minutes or until good and crusty, turn and fry the other side.
Drain on paper towels.
Add salt and/or pepper to taste.
Slather with butter, optional, but not needed.